facebook js

Follow Planet-Soaring on Facebook

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

MPX merlin

I took my MPX merlin with me to the Viking Race in case of a calm day. I had the chance to maiden it, then to fly it few times, and I must say that I'm impressed by this little bird.
The sink rate is higher than a "normal" glider which is normal considering the size of the plane, but the handling is great and the combo sold by Natterer Modelbau is perfect, especially when using a 3S Hyperion G3 850 mAh.


With this battery, the climbing is amazing, almost vertical. The battery also sustain the discharge without collapsing which is good. We organised an informal F3F race (2 rounds) with 6 pilots and thanks to the battery, I won the comp, with a 47s in the second round. Other pilots had less perfomant batteries :)

So I definitively recommend this battery:

Hyperion Generation 3 Lithium Polymer Packs are proving truly revolutionary in both performance and value. Compared to an average of the batteries on market last year, they provide up to up to 7x more cycles under the same discharge conditions. And that makes them a bargain price-wise.

But they also deliver the highest voltage and flattest discharge curves under load that we have ever seen, which makes them the best performer you can buy. And tests have shown that at the 70%-discharged point in flight, they are delivering as much as 40% more power than previous generation LiPo.

The fact that they can be safely charged at up to 5C/6C rates - for charge times as low as 10 to 12 minutes - is just icing on a very tasty cake.


You can find the specifications here

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf

To finish here is a video (from Thibaud Ringenbach) of my first run with the Merlin. I did a 52s with a big cut. But you will see how good is this little bird :) ... look at the turns !


Viking race 2010 Pierre Rondel from ringenbach thibaud on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jehnedi (CZ) F3G Eurotour final contest report

Text and photos:  Sebastian Haase (German version below) In my last and first report on the new, young and upcoming FAI class F3G, Pierre an...